z

Young Writers Society



Neighbors

by Moriah Leila


A short, short story partially based off my real neighbors. Is the title too weak? Let me know what you think.

The woman upstairs is vacuuming again. It is the third time today. Self-consciously I look at my own beige-colored carpet littered with cheerios and crushed cracker crumbs. I could pull out the Bissell but then I’d have to pick up the dirty laundry Tony leaves all over the apartment. If I pick up his dirty socks I might as well wash them.

Which reminds me that I have run out of fabric softener. A yellow post-it on my fridge has a list of items I need from the store. Things like sandwich bags, tomato soup, light bulbs, and cereal. I rummage through my junk drawer looking for something to write with. All I can find is a broken purple crayon. I add fabric softener to the list and listen to the woman upstairs vacuum.

Perhaps she has a compulsive disorder that requires her to vacuum up the slightest speck of dirt. I’d love to turn her loose in my apartment. It might actually be clean for a whole day! Or perhaps her husband is a perfectionist that demands his house be spotless at all times. I have never officially met the people upstairs. But now that I think about it he does look awfully stern.

Restless, I think about taking the trash out. It is starting to smell from the carton of eggs that fell out of my fridge the other day. My pale blue linoleum floor is still sticky where the yolks oozed like splattered brain matter. I’ll never understand why Tony balanced those eggs on top of the jar of Pace picante sauce. Finally, I muster up enough self-motivation to slip on my red flip flops and grab the offensive bag of trash.

Outside it is glaringly bright but even with the cloudless sky it is surprisingly cold. I hurry to the green painted dumpster and heave the black Hefty bag in amongst my neighbor’s trash. I notice Shelia from D-21 getting her mail. I wonder if the only shoes she owns are high heels. Her black curly hair, is as always perfect, plastered down with a can of Pantene aerosol hairspray. She is wearing a bright pink sweater that clings to her figure and ridiculously tight white denim capris. I don’t have to see her face to know that she is wearing too much eyeliner and her signature fire-engine red lipstick.

I hurry inside as she turns towards me, shuffling through her junk mail and bills. I told Tony once that I thought she was a prostitute. He laughed at me. “No seriously,” I protested. “Here are my reasons why,” I held up my fingers as I ticked off my list, “First of all, look at the way she dresses. I mean, she wears daisy dukes and stilettos to the grocery store. Secondly, the only time I have ever seen her leave her apartment is for groceries or to go bar-hopping on Saturday nights. Also, she has a brand new Audi, a Chanel handbag, and I know for a fact that she has three pairs of Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses. The clincher, there are different men in and out of her apartment all day.”

“Maybe she is dealing drugs,” Tony suggested sipping on a can of Pepsi.

“Aha,” I raised my hand for emphasis, “You could think that. But if that were the case wouldn’t she have female customers as well? Have you ever seen a girl with Shelia?”

“Okay,” Tony conceded, “If she is doing so good why is she living in a place like this?” He made a good point. Not like we live in a dump or even a bad neighborhood. But if Shelia is a prostitute and a prosperous one at that, why doesn’t she move into one of those ritzy new lofts they built across the highway? I know it is a mean thing to think, but I still have my suspicions.

As I sit on my battered brown couch pondering this the phone rings. It is Holly from the third floor. “Hey,” she says pausing and I know she is puffing on a Camel, “you got any shortening I can borrow?” I look above the stove in the cupboard and see a dusty container of Crisco.

“Can shortening go bad?” I ask searching for an expiration date on the blue container.

Holly exhales loudly, “I don’t think so. I’ll be down in a minute.” Click.

Hurriedly, I shove my husband’s dirty laundry in the laundry room and shut the door. I straighten some papers on the table and glare at the dirty dishes piling up in the sink. I even spray a bit of Lysol to cover up the lingering smell of rotten eggs. Holly knocks briskly on my door and I greet her with the Crisco in hand. Naturally, she pushes her way in and her two-pack a day scent follows her.

I watch her platinum blonde head disappear as she rummages through my fridge and helps herself to a beer. I’m not even sure why there is beer in our fridge. Tony and I both hate the taste of beer. Holly props her spandex clad hip against my counter as she takes a swig. “God, my fucken’ Mother-in-law is coming over for dinner. I promised Mark I’d make something real nice.” Holly scowls. Her skin looks orange like a spray-on tan gone horribly wrong. “I can’t stand that woman. You know what she said last time she came over for dinner? I had everything perfect and she bitches about me not having lace doilies under my vases. Who the hell even makes doilies anymore?” I watch her nearly chug the beer before she belches loudly. She deftly tosses the empty bottle in the trash. “Thanks for the Crisco.” And then she is gone.

I spray more Lysol to cover up her cigarette scent. Glancing at the digital clock on my microwave I realize it is already four-thirty. My cupboards don’t offer too much in the form of a gourmet dinner. Settling, I pull a pound of raw hamburger from the fridge and a box of Hamburger Helper from the pantry. Macaroni Casserole, one of Tony’s favorites. As I fry up the hamburger I hear the woman upstairs vacuuming again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 1852
Reviews: 4

Donate
Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:34 pm
Lilyan wrote a review...



I adored this piece. It is vague but in a good way. The vagueness makes the story work. I really think it could be a short story in a woman's magazine or something. It shows the life in the day of a woman. I have a question, though. She seems quite young, around her late twenties or early thirties? That is what I imagined but with the cheerios and crushed crackers it makes me wonder if she has kids. Is that so? If so, maybe you should mention them.

I'm going to nitpick, however, at one thing.

It might actually be clean for a whole day!

I think that was the only exclamation point I saw in the story, which didn't feel right.
First, I learned that exclamation points, grammatically do not mean excitement it means yelling. I'm not sure if that's correct however, to me, I feel like it doesn't fit with the rest of the story. As I said, I love how vague the piece is and the exclamation point ruins it. I feel as if it is out of place, doesn't fit with the story. Why? You sue a ton of periods, which I think makes the story realistic and life-like to the thoughts of a person. But the use of the point makes too drastic of a difference. If you wanted that, perhaps use it in another spot? Or keep it. This is just my own thoughts.

Otherwise, I really adored this short story. Keep writing, you're really great!

- Lily.




Random avatar

Points: 1356
Reviews: 4

Donate
Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:20 pm
red_helix7 wrote a review...



I really like it! It's quirky in a non-quirky kind of way. It's seems to me more like a small chapter in a book rather than one short story. I'm fairly interested in what happens next. and the characters were well, I don't know if "unique" is the word for them, but it's like their so "unreal" that they probably could be real.

Oh yes and Shelia has all the attributes and characteristics of a prostitute. Or a "bussiness-woman" as their called now.

^_^ i give it 5 flying stars! Good work!




User avatar
516 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 516

Donate
Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:12 pm
chocoholic wrote a review...



That was really cool. It's how the mind would think, I reckon, and the ending was perfect. There were a couple of things I noticed:

Self-consciously I look at my own beige-colored carpet littered with cheerios and crushed cracker crumbs.


There's something about this sentence that doesn't feel right. It reads sort of weirdly. I get the feeling that you shouldn't really be able to see the colour of the carpet with all the things you say are covering it.

I have never officially met the people upstairs. But now that I think about it he does look awfully stern.


I would make these one sentence, it reads better that way.

I love the whole concept of the apartment and the people in it, especially the narrator speculating on why the woman upstairs vacuums so much and whether Sheila is a prostitute.

There were some really funny bits, and I would have been howling with laughter if it weren't for my sleeping family.

Good job!




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 60

Donate
Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:20 pm
GML wrote a review...



Feel free to disregard anything I comment on. You're the author in the end!


Outside it is glaringly bright but even with the cloudless sky it is surprisingly cold.

Watch your adverb use. Too much is just too much. Show don't tell.

I don’t have to see her face to know that she is wearing too much eyeliner and her signature fire-engine red lipstick.

This is definitely personal preference, but the description of red as fire engine red is just awkward to me.

Hurriedly, I shove my husband’s dirty laundry in the laundry room and shut the door.

You don't need "hurriedly."

```````````````````````````````````
Okay. Overall, I think this is pretty good. Wonderful characterization (though I agree, most of them are a bit cliche) and solid dialogue. You made it seem a very real setting with a very real MC. Now, since most of the characters were cliche, it was hard to stay that entertained. There really isn't much plot and I kept waiting for something drastic to happen, or some secret to be revealed about one of the neighbors. But no, the prostitute, the neat freak, they just kept on coming...

So it was good. But I would add some plot to this, maybe have a gasp!-type ending about the vacuum lady or something. Of course, this is what I would like to read. And I think the title is fine for what you have written now.

Good luck.
PM me with questions.




User avatar
721 Reviews


Points: 7241
Reviews: 721

Donate
Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 pm
Azila wrote a review...



Hey there!


-Nitpicks-

Self-consciously I look at my own beige-colored carpet littered with cheerios and crushed cracker crumbs.
There should be a comma after "Self-consciously."

Which reminds me that I have run out of fabric softener.
I know that for essays you're not supposed to use conjunctions -- but this isn't an essay; it's fiction. And it's written in a conversational way. I think you should say "I've."

I have never officially met the people upstairs.
Again, make that "I've" rather than "I have." It sounds sooo much more natural.

But now that I think about it he does look awfully stern.
Comma after "it."

Finally, I muster up enough self-motivation to slip on my red flip flops and grab the offensive bag of trash.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think "flip-flops" should be hyphenated, like I wrote it just now.

Outside it is glaringly bright but even with the cloudless sky it is surprisingly cold.
Why write "it is" when you can write "it's"? ^_~

Her black curly hair, is as always perfect, plastered down with a can of Pantene aerosol hairspray.
Nix the comma after "hair."

As I sit on my battered brown couch pondering this the phone rings.
There should be a comma after "this."

“Hey,” she says pausing and I know she is puffing on a Camel, “you got any shortening I can borrow?”
I think the bold part should be "...she pauses, and I know she's puffing on a Camel..."

I ask searching for an expiration date on the blue container.
There should be a comma after "ask."
____________________________


-Overall Impressions-

I like the way this is just a "day in the life" kind of thing. The mention of the vacuum again in the end reinforces that.

However, I feel like out main character needs to have a little bit more personality that we can detect. Right now, you do a pretty good job with giving her character, but I'd like better. For example, the way people talk can say a lot about their character. Since this is pretty much a monologue on her part, make all the narrative as though she's saying it -- with abbreviations, conjunctions... maybe even an incomplete sentence here and there. Remember: this isn't an essay, it's fiction. So don't feel like you always have to be grammatically correct. Especially because this is a monologue. It's good that you know the rules of grammar, but now tweak them to your advantage. ^_~ You do this a bit, but I'd like it to happen more -- like the line " Restless, I think about taking the trash out." That's good! You didn't say "Restlessly." I'm getting a little sense of how she talks. But do it MORE SO... and when she's talking to her husband about Shelia as well.

My other problem was the neighbors. They're all so stereotypical/exaggerated! I know that we're seeing it through the eyes of the narrator, and that's hoe SHE sees them, but still. Maybe add some other neighbors who are more or less "normal?" Not so stereotypical? Then, you could keep the eccentric ones and it would be fine, I think.

For the most part, though, you do really well with characterization and description, and you have a very nice flow.

Good work! I give you a gold star. ^_^

PM me if you have questions/comments about my review -- or anything else, I guess. :D

Hope this helps.
~Azila~

P.S. I think the title's fine. ^_~





You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote